Saturday, September 21, 2013

Welcome!

   When you have spent your life enjoying several different crafts, it's all too easy to accumulate a large amount of crafty supplies, lovingly referred to by most as their "stash".  I learned how to cross stitch when I was eleven, so I have nearly thirty years of material, floss, magazines, and patterns stocked away. When I was about 25, I worked at a school where many of my colleagues quilted and they roped me in.  I started amassing fabric.  You know the feeling: "Ooo, that fabric's pretty. I'll get a yard."  When my oldest son was born, I started scrapbooking and was even a Creative Memories consultant for 8 years.  25 albums and still counting. Then I got hooked on Stampin' Up and card making.  Add a few more containers of paper, stamps, ribbons, buttons, etc.   A few years ago, a friend taught me how to knit and now there are skeins upon skeins waiting to be turned into scarves, since that's the only thing I know how to make.

   For seven years, I was a single mom, raising my two boys, working on projects after they were in bed.  Then, in the course of a year, I met the most wonderful man, fell in love, got married, and moved into his house. Let me tell you, having to pack everything up, move it, and rearrange it will make you realize just how much stuff your "stash" really holds.  I found UFO's (Unfinished Objects) that I had forgotten I had even started.  Baby quilts that were for babies who are now in Pre-K.  High school graduation quilts for college kids. 

  Then one day as I was flipping through a quilting magazine, (which I have mounds of) I saw an article about Tracee's Project: 36 quilts in 12 months. Tracee is making 36 quilts in her 36th year to give to people who are special to her.  I think it's fantastic idea and have enjoyed watching her progress.  While I would love to follow her example, I'm also realistic.  There is no way I could make 40 quilts in one year.  But I can try to finish the UFO's that I have and maybe use up part of my stash as I go.

So here's my challenge to myself in my 40th year - Make 40 projects.  A project could be a quilt, a scrapbook, a stitching, a scarf (someone needs to teach me how to make hats!) a set of cards (one card would be to easy and once you have out all the supplies, why not make 10 or 20?).  It could be finishing a UFO or starting something fresh.  A project might be from a magazine, something I've designed myself, or an idea that caught my eye from Pinterest.  I don't know where this journey through my crafting space will take me, but I don know it will be fun! I hope you'll come along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment