Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Fleece Scarves for the Food Pantry at KPC

I think I sometimes forget that there are only 24 hours in a day. That's how I would up with so many unfinished projects. (and how I have been negligent in my blog writing for two weeks - Sorry!)  I saw an idea, and thought, "oh, I can make that", forgetting about laundry, and meetings, and dinner, and that I occasionally need to sleep.  This is how I came to have several yards of fleece waiting to be turned into scarves.

Several years ago, I went to a sporting event where the cheerleaders were wearing the cutest scarves.  Someone had taken three layers of fleece in the school colors, sewn up the middle and then cut along the sides to make a fringe.  It looked like a fleece boa.  Cute and simple.  I decided to make some for all the babysitters that I had working for me (at least four or five of them) and for the women who were in my craft group that used to meet once a month. I had even asked my crafty friends what the colors of their coats were so I could make a two toned scarf to match.

(here's a shot of the scarf with one side done)
 



Needless to say, not all the scarves were made (although several of the sitters did get theirs for Christmas that year).

Fast forward a few years. As you my know, I work for my church as the Coordinator of Educational Ministries.  One of our other teams runs a Food Pantry two times a month and the number of people who come has steadily increased so that now, there are nearly one hundred people a month who attend.  As I was working on a knitted scarf, and thinking about how I have far too many scarves, lots of yarn waiting to be made into scarves, (that's the only thing I can knit. Hats elude me) I wondered what could I do with them all.  The Food Pantry popped into my head. Surely there are people who would appreciate a new scarf.  We do live in Buffalo, where winters can be rather harsh.  Working with the people in charge of the Food Pantry, we've invited church members to donate hats, gloves and scarves, whether home made or purchased to help our neighbors stay warm. 

And it would give me the chance to make the fleece into scarves and give them to people who really need them.  Sorry, old craft night friends, but I'm pretty sure you'll understand ;)

So, armed with a glass of wine, a few episodes of Once Upon a Time, my rotary blade cutter and some quilting rulers, I set to work.

(this is the stack of uncut fleece)

If you have ever made a fleece blanket and cut all those little fleece fringes with scissors you know that it's hard on your hands.  By using a cutting mat, rulers, and rotary blade meant for quilting, it take a lot less time, and doesn't make your hands hurt.  I have a square ruler that's only 6 x 7.5 inches, which is perfect for making all those little cuts with the blade.

Scarves are pretty simple.  I varied the width and length of the scarves, and cut a simple fringe into the end.  And there you are! A nice assortment to share with our church family and neighbors.

(here's some of the finished product -that stack of fleece made 18 scarves)

What projects did you intend to do that lay unfinished (or un-started as mine were) and could be repurposed to help someone else?  Share your projects in the comments.

Hope to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment