Saturday, November 9, 2013

Thanksgiving Trees

I think Thanksgiving is a great holiday and it gets completely overlooked by retail and the media. Two of our local radio stations started playing Christmas music on November 2nd!  The stores have stocked Christmas items for weeks, and all the Thanksgiving things have gone on clearance with the leftovers from Halloween.

Here at our house, we put Thanksgiving up as soon as we can after Halloween. There are pilgrims and turkeys and even a little fall village.

A few years ago I picked up this little set of trees at a block sale.
 

 
I leave them up all year long, changing the decorations to reflect the season. I have snowflakes, hearts, American flags, and Halloween ornaments.  I have every holiday covered except for Thanksgiving. I've searched high and low and couldn't find anything.

So I did what any good crafty girl would do - I made something!

I gathered up some solid paper, thread, buttons, and two patterned papers from a Debbie Mum pack.



First I cut out by hand the symbols and sayings that I wanted to use.  Then I glued them to the solid paper, with some thread in between for hanging.  Next I put something heavy on top and left them to sit over night.



On day two, I cut out all the shapes again, leaving a bit of colored border around each one. I had originally thought I might add buttons to embellish the little ornaments, but I think they came out just fine without anything else. The trees are rather small so I don't want to overload them.


Time to hang them up!  There's a little bit of glitter in some of the ornaments and I like how they catch  the light from the rice lights in the trees.  (I am still looking for a light string small enough to fit the smallest tree).



Hmmm.  I'm having visions of sparkly Christmas paper turned into ornaments dancing through my head.  Maybe with a baking theme.

But first, I have a few more Thanksgiving projects to do.

Stay tuned!





No comments:

Post a Comment