Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Snow Day Catch Up!

Today is a Snow Day! We have already had quite a few this winter, although some were more like Frigid Cold Days, when the wind chill factor was -20.   We are under a blizzard warning, so the six of us are hunkered down. I have already baked a batch of cookies and a loaf of banana bread.  The younger three kids tried going outside for a little bit but the snow isn't packing, and it is COLD.  Soon, I want to break out some board games, but for now everyone is attached to a screen. Phil is playing Skrym on his PS3, Sam is playing on the Wii, while Max is battling someone in Pokemon on his DS, and I am pretty sure that Brooke and Vince are crafting some mines.  So that gives me the chance to share some projects.

Once I finished the ruffle scarf, I went back to the yarn stash to see what other scarves were waiting to be made.  I bought this rainbow yarn years ago when a fabric store was going out of business.  I knew that Brooke would love the bright colors, and that it would go with any coat as she gets older.  The stitch pattern is very easy and with such a thick yarn on 17 needles, the scarf worked up very quickly.   I found the pattern on Pinterest called a  Scrunchable Scarf.   Cast on in a multiple of 3 (I did twelve for Brooke's) and then Knit 2, Purl 1. Because of the multiple of three it makes its own pattern of knit row, purl row, and moss row.  Brooke loves it - she gave me a big hug when I gave it to her.


Next up, I finished my St. Patrick's Day ribbon wreath.  For this one I did buy all the shamrock ribbon but I used the plain greens left from Christmas, so I kinda used stuff up, right? I love having that bit of sparkle on some of the ribbons, and how the orange pops, in honor of the Irish flag colors.  I just started working on one that for a dear friend of mine next.  I gave her a Christmas ribbon wreath, which she has hanging on her door in her retirement community. Since it's March, I thought she would like something she could leave up all the time.  Purple is her favorite color, so I have a nice variety of purple ribbons for her.

After 16 years, I finally took my sewing machine in to be serviced.  The tension has been so off, (I think because the bobbin wasn't winding at the right tension) that it has been hard to work on anything without getting extremely frustrated.  If you sew too, you know those little loops that form on the back of your seam when the tension isn't right.  So annoying.


The last quilt I worked on is still a work in progress but I can finish it without the machine. I pieced the top of this autumn log cabin before Sam was born (He's almost 13) and since it was one of the very first things I had ever done, I made the mistake of using the polyester batting. It made for a rather puffy quilt when I machine quilted in the ditch in the log cabin section.  My intention has always been to hand sew leaf shapes in the border, using a gold metallic floss. I thought it would pick up the gold that is in some of the dark fabrics.  I used to have several leaf shaped copper cookie cutters (they had a purpose too, but I can't remember what it is) that would be perfect for this task. Unfortunately, I have no idea where they have gone. I know where they used to be before we moved. Now, not so much. Plan B - I will find some leaf shapes online and make my own templates.  Of course, ask soon as finish the quilt I'll find the cookie cutters. Never fails, right?

Hopefully, the Autumn Log Cabin will be another item crossed off the UFO list soon.

Time to go round everyone up for some game time.  I hope that you are all warm and safe and happily crafting wherever you are!







No comments:

Post a Comment