Friday, August 15, 2014

Busy as a ...Ladybug

The bees around our house have nothing on the lady bugs this summer.  No, we haven't been infested with ladybugs, at least not real ones.  Yet, I did finish two quilts with ladybugs as the focus.

Five years ago, I had six friends who were pregnant.  One was a two-for-one-deal with twin girls.  I made the tops for two baby girl quilts that were really quite cute.  But like so many other projects,  I never got around to quilting them.  The unfinished quilts were at the top of my pile when I moved everything and got a good sense of what was still languishing in the Oasis.

But it didn't feel right to give the girls baby quilts when they certainly aren't babies anymore.

When I saw the video that inspired the Lime Green and Hot Pink quilt from the last post, I thought that it would be the perfect way to make the twins "big girl quilts", and then when I saw an adorable lady bug pattern that came in yellow and green, all the pieces fell into place.

I chose a several yellows and greens to go with their respective lady bug print, and then reds that would go on both quilts.  I particularly liked the red with black polka dots. 

Using the method of sewing over the squares, the two quilts came together nicely, and quickly. After a lovely lunch out with my friend, she reported that the girls love them.

Knowing that the twins had their blankets, I didn't want their original baby quilts to go to waste.  I have a colleague who welcomed a baby girl to his family in January so I was delighted that I could finish off one of the quilts and present it to her dad.  There is a mix of baby patterns with pale pink checks and polka dots.  This was the first quilt I ever used the satiny binding from the store rather than a fabric from the quilt and I was so glad that I had.  I felt like it added a touch of sweetness to the quilt. And, that's another project crossed off the UFO list!



When I saw the Fourth of July ribbons on sale at the local craft store, I grabbed a few and raided the ribbon buckets in the Oasis for more red, white, and blue.  The result was two more ribbon wreathes.  I gave one to my sister-in-law and kept one for me.

This is the one I gave my sister-in-law
















 Finally, I made a quick gift for some friends.  Every month, I get together with a group of women and we play BUNCO.  We eat, drink, chat, and win prizes from each other.  They were bridesmaids when I married Phil.  It just so happens that three of them turned 49 this year.  The occasion definitely needed to be celebrated, so I made them "Forever 49" wine glasses.  All it took was three wine glasses and some glass/ceramic paint pens.  I am not much of an artist, so I just drew some swirls and shapes, and of course, some dice.

Being a crafter brings me a great deal of joy. Knowing that I am creating something for a friend or family member makes it even more special.

Happy crafting!




No comments:

Post a Comment