Monday, January 20, 2014

A Scarf for Vince

For the past few weeks I have been dealing with a bad back.  At first, I blamed the dog, because it only hurt at night when I was sleeping, but would be fine once I got up and started moving around.  But a few weeks ago, it was bothering me all the time.  Then the pain went down my right leg and at one point, my calf was hard as a rock.  After ruling out a blood clot, I went to at PT who has me working on exercises to help alleviate the culprit, a pinched nerve.  His first tip helped me with driving, so that I didn't feel like crying.

Needless to say, having a pinched nerve has really cramped my crafting style.  Quilting is too much like driving to be comfortable, so that's out for now.  I am so far behind in scrapbooking it's not funny, but that will have to wait for a bit too.  So in looking at my UFO's I focused on some knitting that was in my bag.

I learned how to knit a few years ago.  The only thing I can make are scarves, so I have quite a few. I like trying different stitches so at least they don't all look  the same.

My stepson, Vince loves the color red, so when I had a skein of red yarn leftover from a different scarf, I knew it was for him. It's a nice thick yarn.  I used 13 needles and knitted it with the rib stitch, (knit two, purl two) which I like because it looks like the garter stitch, but doesn't roll up on the edges.

Here's the finished project: I know it's not at all fancy, but it's going to keep one little boy very warm in our Western NY winters! And it's a UFO that's finished :)

What projects are you working on to stay warm?

No comments:

Post a Comment