Thursday, January 2, 2014

Peppermintys

I hope that you have had a very Merry Christmas and a Happy start to the New Year!

We had a wonderful holiday season, and clearly a very busy one since I have been neglectful of my blog.  Poor blog.  :(

But now that I have time to breathe deeply, and even sit down, I am back to work on my 40 by 41 projects.  You'll see a completed project later this week.

First, though, I meant to share with you one of my favorite recipes that I invented when I found myself in need of a quick cookie. 

Here's the story: Several years ago, I was baking for a Cookie Walk at church.  We were told that we had to bring in four dozen cookies. I ran out of a key ingredient at ten at night and when you are a single mother and you run out of an ingredient at ten at night you are OUT.  Rather than be short on the amount of cookies, I looked around to see what else I had.  I found a roll of sugar cookie dough and a box of candy canes.

Put the two together and you get Peppermintys!


First thing is to smash the candy canes.  For a regular sized roll, I use about eight candy canes.  I put them in a plastic baggie and use a meat tenderizer to smash them (a great stress reliever if the holiday hype is getting to you).  You want to have some small chunks, not just smithereens (like I might if making Peppermint Bark). Put the smashed canes in a bowl.


I always use Pillsbury sugar cookie dough.  Set the oven to 350 as directed.  Slice the cookie dough and then roll into a ball.




 Roll in the smashed canes.

Place on parchment paper on cookie sheets.   I use parchment when baking.  I find it makes clean up a lot easier, and I can slide one sheet off the pan onto the counter to cool, and slide a prepared parchment right back on the pan, so it keeps things moving quickly



Bake for about 10 minutes.

The cookies are done when they are slightly browned around the edges.  They come out puffy but the candy canes melt in the oven and then harden into a thin, crispy cookie.







So the next time you find yourself in a pinch for Christmas cookies, make some Peppermintys.  They're quick, easy, and oooooohhh so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment