Thursday, January 9, 2014

Cardinal Stitching

Many of my projects during the fall and holiday season used up supplies that I had stockpiled in the Crafting Oasis, which is great.  Yet one of the reasons I started the 40 by 41 challenge was to finish up those UFOs (UnFinished Objects).  Today, I can cross a UFO off the list!

I have always loved the Cross Stitch and Needlework magazine.  Two years ago, the Christmas issue had many wonderful projects, but I liked the one on the cover, a cardinal sitting on a branch of holly.  My mom liked cardinals, and I had originally planned on giving the stitching to her.  She had some little cardinal knick-knacks that she put out in the winter months after Christmas. I think there is something appealing about the bright red when everything outside is so white, and I think she did too.  I thought is would be a nice addition to the grouping.

Mom passed away shortly after I started the stitching though.  I asked my Dad if I could have those few cardinal knick-knacks, and I have since added a few more.

After two years of picking up the piece, putting it down, starting a new project or two,  and then picking it back up again, I finally put the finishing stitches in it just this week.

I had found a square black frame at the after-Christmas sales, and decided that I would make a mat with red paper from my vast scrapbooking paper collection.










I used the "picture" that came with the frame as the template to cut the square from my new mat. Using the red mat as a guide, I stretched the stitching over a piece of cardboard (from scrapbooking packaging, so I think it should be safe to use) It took a few tries, and little bit more trimming to get the cardinal centered and stretched within the opening.

Then I layered the whole thing inside the frame and viola!











Now it sits with the other cardinals.  I have the beginnings of a flock!




No comments:

Post a Comment