Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Favorite Halloween Quilts

I love Halloween. I probably have as many Halloween decorations as "normal" people have  Christmas.  I have been collecting witches, pumpkins, and ghosts for years.   I look forward to the strings of orange lights that glow in my windows as the nights begin to lengthen. 

As this weekend was the first in October and we had all four kids at the house, this was our time to decorate. It's our first Halloween as a family in this house, so I had the added fun of figuring out new ways to use my decorations, because they couldn't go where they always have.

I got so caught up in decorating, that the only projects I finished were paper chains of black, purple, and orange (with the kids' help of course) and numerous Perler Bead creations.

 
Since I didn't work on anything new (or rather, something in need of finishing), I thought I'd share some of my favorite Halloween projects with you that I look forward to bringing out each year.
 
 
When I first started quilting, I found a pattern by Debbie Mum that was an apple quilt.  As I was finishing the apple quilt, I came across these fabulous Halloween prints.  By removing the leaves from the sides of stem, I knew that I could adapt the pattern to make perfect pumpkins!  This was machine pieced, hand quilted, with the jack-o-lantern's face appliqued.  I quilted a chain of bats in the border. 

 
The inspiration for this log cabin quilt was actually the flannel that I used for the back.  (I hope I'm not the only one who has ever chosen their backing first!)  I used Halloween prints that I already had, and added some more.  This is machine quilted in-the-ditch through the log cabin section but in the black border I used cookie cutters for patterns to quilt Halloween shapes, like cats, bats, pumpkins and ghosts. The flannel backing is perfect to make the quilt extra cozy for snuggling.  
 
Tomorrow I'll show you some cross stitch favorites, including the one where I spelled Halloween wrong, and didn't realize it until it was in the frame!
 


2 comments: