Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Halloween Stitchings

Of all types of crafts that I do, I have been a cross stitcher the longest.  I can't draw to save my life, but with a needle and thread, I can create something special.  Whether it's a large elegant piece, like one of Paula Vaughn's patterns, or something quick, cute and whimsical, I love transforming an empty piece of fabric into a work of art.

Years ago when I saw the pattern for this Halloween sampler, I rushed out to find the Kreinik blending filament that glows in the dark so that the moon and stars, ghosts, and the little eyes in the trees would give off an eerie glow.  After sixteen years, it still works!
 
Of course, it wasn't until the stitching was done, in the frame, with the backing glued on that I noticed that it says "Happy Hallowen" instead of Happy Halloween. Whoops!
 
 
This project was originally shown as a stocking.  I didn't know witches left any treats in stockings, but it makes for a cute piece.  I've never made a stocking so instead, I finished it by fraying the Aida cloth, and putting the stitching on top of a piece of scrapbooking paper inside the frame.  I loved the use of sparkly Kreinik blending filaments.




Ghostie's Garden was designed by Cathi Bussi, one of my favorite designers.  I thought Ghostie was very cute and sewed a fabric mat and backing for it. 

 



This is the most recent of my Halloween stitchings and it happens to be the first one that I signed with my new initials since getting married a year ago.  It still needs a few buttons for embellishment and then to be framed. I'm thinking that I might make a paper mat for this one so that I can mimic the curve at the top.


 
 
There are plenty of Halloween patterns in my pattern collection that I would love to do.  We'll see what next Halloween brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment